Insulate exterior of old brick home

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderzak

Reaction score
I have a 95 year old brick home and the brick is two layers thick. In most rooms, the interior lathe and plaster is laid directly on the brick. The exterior already has a layer of stuuco put on, which doesn't look very good and is cracking and peeling in many places. I'd like to insulate the exterior of the house with rigid foam board and then restucco. I do not think I'd do this myself, but through a contractor. I'd like to be an educated buyer, but I can't find much information about how to attach the foam board to the exterior. I'm guessing it would be glued on. Also there's a lot of details that I wonder about such as how to make corners, what to do around doors and windows and at the meeting points of wall with ground and wall with roof. I also haven't done any stucco work before, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a good contractor for either aspect of this job.

If you have experience with this or references you can share with me, I would appreciate it! Most exterior foam board insulation projects I've seen articles about so far are with sided homes or new construction, not attaching to brick. Thanks.

Back