Insulate rim joist? Wasn't done? Omg..

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi guys quick question about something that might be ok, but could be disastrous. I'll post the pics tonight but in my fully finished basement with sheet rock on walls and ceiling, there is one 12"x 12" cut-out on each opposing end of the basement on the ceiling right in front of the rim joist that is an access point for shut offs for the sprinkler system and the garden hose spigots on each fat end of home. This house was built in 2001 and the basement was finished in 2005. I will say this though, my basement in winter is the warmest place in the whole house by far! It's super cozy down there. When I was looking up in the hole for the spigot valve I noticed no insulation around any of the rim joist area including around the copper pipes! Most of the pipes are somewhat closer to the foundation sill plate so it might be ok and thinking that it's so warm down there in winter makes me confirm that. Should note that my sill plate sits about 12-14" above grade, BUT you just never know. So here is my 2 questions:
1) Should I try to insulate what I can that's reachable by arm length with some R30 I guess stuffing something up around them pipes is better than nothing.
2) Should i start valving off and bleeding the outside hose spigots before every winter to prevent the pipe damage?

Attachments

• IMG_9779.jpg
    IMG_9779.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9780.PNG
    IMG_9780.PNG
    167.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9781.PNG
    IMG_9781.PNG
    199.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If the hose bib is frost free type, make sure the hose is disconnected in the winter.
Yes the rim should be insulated.
After 18 years it, likely isn't the end of the world.

Ok to use pipe insulation on the pipes but, be careful with the R-30, you don't want to insulate the pipes to the cold.
In other words, don't block the heat to the pipes by burying them in insulation. Put your insulation barrier between the cold and the pipes not between the warm and the pipes.

Ok to use pipe insulation on the pipes but, be careful with the R-30, you don't want to insulate the pipes to the cold.
In other words, don't block the heat to the pipes by burying them in insulation. Put your insulation barrier between the cold and the pipes not between the warm and the pipes.
Copy that thanks!

Latest posts

Back