Insulating a brick or block structure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deek281

deek
Reaction score
Hey guys, question for you all.
I have a brick garage that I'd like to turn into a workshop. I need to insulate it to make it comfortable with Indiana's crazy seasons. What do you guys thing about the idea of my mounting a 2x4 as header, footer and middle, directly to the bricks. Then putting in a sheet of 1 1/2" foam insulation, covered by 7/16" plywood. I'm thinking that this will be a good insulation, but I'm hesitant to drill the walls at the same time. Would it be worth it to just build a stick frame inside the brick walls and insulate that instead, and mount the frames to the ceiling joists and floor?
Thanks Guys,
Deek

I live in a block house and we furred the walls out and insulated that way and blown in for the ceiling and our utilities are very low. just my opinion.

As posted in other thread. Looks like Joe and I agree.

Would it be worth it to just build a stick frame inside the brick walls and insulate that instead, and mount the frames to the ceiling joists and floor?
Leave a little space between studs and wall like a 1/2" between.

How are you planning on heating it and will it be full time heat or just when you are out there working? If part time once you get it heated how long will you be working out there?

Deek -

I am a little lost.

Is the garage really made from block and not brick. Often, people mix up there terms. I had a home that was built of 12" clay block, but a 4" thick brick wall cannot support a roof load by itself. - Could the wall be made of 2 bonded layers of brick (8" thick total) that is carrying the load? - Something must be holding up the roof.

Also, would a shop used intermittently be required to meet the same thermal insulation requirements as a residence?

It is also possible to adhere some extruded polystyrene (XPS) to the wall and cover it somehow it for flame protection, eliminating a wood frame inside if you can find a way to trim out the existing window(s).

There are a lot of options.

The other Deek.

That is also what I was getting to. If you are only out there for a few hours at a time you may be better to just save your money on construction and instead get a overkill heating device. My garage I made a small room with my tools and workbenches and I put 4” foam in the walls. It’s 12x14. I left the big garage unheated. If I get a big project I have a place to warm up between working. If you want to keep it heated then insulate it all.

I put a wood stove in at my old house. It would take 8 hours to get it warm. Then I was done working for the day.

Back