Insulating a Vinyl Garage door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06Honda

Reaction score
I have a vinyl type product garage door. 4 panels that are straight open and across, 9 feet long and 16 inches wide with no horizontal edges to tuck in any blanket type insulation. I came across a product at my local home depot called "Reflectix".

1. Would this product work for my door?

2. If it will help warm up the garage a bit should I leave a pocket of air behind or attach it directly against the door and secure with the tape they also sell at home depot for this product?

Thanks for any tips? I can take a pic if necessary.

Paul

This is a good video but wouldn't work on my garage door as there are no edges to tuck anything in. Don't think tape and insulation would be a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

NP, I used a product today called "Ayr-Foil", fairly easy installation with an air pocket on each panel. Way brighter in the garage thats for sure. May take a day or so to see if the temp is warmer.

I guess it depends on what heat you have in the garage. Our code does not require insulation in the walls of a garage.

I used styrofoam blue board on my panels.
The one thing the video did not mention is that any type of insulation will add weight to the door and the door will have to be re-balanced and possibly the strentgh adjustment on the opener will have to be increased.

Good point thats why i used the very light weight reflective product as it adds little or no weight and a spring adjustment is not required.

Latest posts

Back