insulating the attic of a 1955 ranch..what is this foil film?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeusa

Reaction score
My house was built in '55 and doesn't have any insulation in the attic spaces. But, there is a paper/foil that has been stapled across the ceiling joists creating an air pocket between the paper and the drywall beneath.

I would like to add some insulation..not sure what type....but the question is in regards to the foil/film that is already in place....do I remove it all. It is original and was installed when the house was built. Over the years, many places have been torn and damaged.

What is this stuff, what does it do...and what do I do with it.

Thoughts?

-Joe

Last edited:
Just leave it. It was made to be a moisture barrier from the outside elements heat and so forth

It is a radiant barrier foil, used to keep the attic cooler from the solar gain. In your location, it would do little or nothing, possibly costing you more money to heat in the winter- blocking solar radiation. http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/rb_tables.html#tablea1

Welcome To Home Energy Magazine Online
If any dust on it, devalued by 50%. Remove it and add more insulation, if needed: UMass Amherst: Building and Construction Technology » Cellulose Insulation – A Smart Choice
Insulation Fact Sheet
How to Inspect an Attic to Ensure the Insulation is Effective

Air seal the attic first: How to Seal Attic Air Leaks | The Family Handyman

And: welcome to the forum!

Gary

Yep - found some of that in my house as well (1930). I literally let out a chuckle and mumbled to myself "Are you what they thought of as a radiant barrier back in the day?"

Put it in my dads house in the sixties it didn't do anything. rip it out and insulate make sure you are well vented.

Latest posts

Back