Insulation

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by pm80, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1

pm80

pm80

pm80

I have an off grade house that was built in 1952. I think it still has only the originaly insulation in the attic. Which is probably only about 2 inches and has two large gabels on each end. I know for sure I need more insulation in the attic, but my question is should I reduce the size of the gabels. Also it is cost effective to insulate the underside of the house? The floor is always very cold.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it very much.

Paul

2. Feb 17, 2009 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

I wouldn't reduce the size of the gable vents unless your sure about the soffit vents. There is a ratio of inlet/oulet to make sure that the airflows up and out and not down and around to ensure proper air volume exchange. Unfortunately, I'm only aware of such a rule and don't know the specifics. The construction pros should be able to clarify.

3. Feb 17, 2009 #3

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Welcome Paul:
    I would not restrict the ventilation in any way. Insulation would help considerably, maybe 6 to 8" of blown in celulose. Under the floor could stand 6" of batt insulation held up with spring wires; you could use fiberglass or the new itch free polyester (but I think the polyester will be much more expensive).
    Glenn

4. Feb 18, 2009 #4

handyguys

handyguys

handyguys

Agreed - Also - when you do the batts under the house the paper face faces the conditioned side, in other words the paper face goes up, hence the need for the wires, you cant staple it.