Interior Barn Door Timber?

Discussion in 'Carpentry and Woodworking' started by scoobstar, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1

scoobstar

scoobstar

scoobstar

I would like to make some bi-parting barn doors to divide these rooms. This is an example of the type of barn doors I want, but in a whitewash. I have looked at pine which would be cheap and easy to finish but Im not sure if pine will be heavy / sound proofing enough. The rooms are quite loud with TVs in both of them so although it doesnt have to be sound proofed, I would like to quieten the noise. I was considering getting second hand recycled timber but if something goes wrong it would be hard to find more to match. A seconds place suggested oregon timber. Would pine be sufficient or should I lookat hardwood?

photo.jpg

door.jpg

2. Jun 28, 2013 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Welcome to the site.These doors will never close tight as the stand away from the wall. You will get some deflection of the noise but I don't think the material used will make much difference.

3. Jun 28, 2013 #3

scoobstar

scoobstar

scoobstar

Thank you, that is the single handed most useful tip I've been given. I wasn't getting much useful information from another site.

4. Jul 2, 2013 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Old garage doors that hindged sideways and folded to open may be findable and cleaned up

garage doors.png

scoobstar likes this.