Quantcast

Interior Door to Garage

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
Need to replace the interior door that goes from house to the garage. Any suggestions on type of door.

Sparky617

Reaction score
Mine is an insulated steel door. If code allowed I'd probably do a fiberglass door, less likely to dent.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my area, solid, fireproof doors are required, must swing inward towards garage, must have self closer on it. As said before, it all depends on the codes in your area.

Bob Reynolds

Reaction score
At a minimum you will need a 20 minute metal fire rated door without glass.

Fires do start in garages and you want to keep it contained in that area until the fire department arrives. I've seen houses burn to the ground from fires that started in the garage.

Graybeard

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't really add to the above, except to point out one other thing, security. In my line of work, I've seen some really creative ways of easily getting beyond a garage door.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most walls these days are just only two thin layers of drywall, making most houses easily penetratable if you know where to kick.

billshack

Reaction score
I have heard that you can take a wooden door and cover it with metal sheeting. So it become a fire door without the huge cost .

ctviggen

Reaction score
Where I am, you need a fire rated door (not sure time limit) that self closes, but mine opens inward. to the house. I would never buy a metal door, if I could afford a fiberglass or other material and it was allowed.

Latest posts