Interior Door to Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
Need to replace the interior door that goes from house to the garage. Any suggestions on type of door.

Mine is an insulated steel door. If code allowed I'd probably do a fiberglass door, less likely to dent.

In my area, solid, fireproof doors are required, must swing inward towards garage, must have self closer on it. As said before, it all depends on the codes in your area.

At a minimum you will need a 20 minute metal fire rated door without glass.

Fires do start in garages and you want to keep it contained in that area until the fire department arrives. I've seen houses burn to the ground from fires that started in the garage.

Can't really add to the above, except to point out one other thing, security. In my line of work, I've seen some really creative ways of easily getting beyond a garage door.

Most walls these days are just only two thin layers of drywall, making most houses easily penetratable if you know where to kick.

I have heard that you can take a wooden door and cover it with metal sheeting. So it become a fire door without the huge cost .

Where I am, you need a fire rated door (not sure time limit) that self closes, but mine opens inward. to the house. I would never buy a metal door, if I could afford a fiberglass or other material and it was allowed.

Back