Interior paint touch up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoyvenon

Reaction score
I want to paint a few small spots here and there on interior walls - not repaint the entire room (a hefty size repaint, and most of room looks fine). Cleaning of wall isn't an option, as in some cases, there have been specs of paint chipped away for one reason or another when kids were younger (not general wear + tear). The problem - I don't know the exact paint color or paint manufacturer/retailer of original wall paint. Are there places (whether Lowes/HDepot or specialty like Porter, etc) that can replicate color ? What would I need to supply them to produce a pint of replicant color paint ?
How precise can I expect their results ?
Thanks for any help/guidance.

You will need a color sample no smaller than a half dollar coin piece. They may only be able to provide a minimum of a quart or gallon. Don't count on the color to match no matter how hard they try. Tinted paints are not returnable once purchased.

OP,
You won't get an exact match, and likely not even what most would call close. I'm a painting contractor and I run into this identical situation very often. Even if you knew the brand, finish, and color, the match might still be off because the color of the paint on the wall has changed over time due to oxidation.

Touch up will vary greatly depending upon natural light, lighting, sheen, color, location of touch up and age.

Typically even using the exact paint out of the same can and it will still not blend properly. You may be happy with the results though. Make the touch up as small as possible, use the same application method that it was originally painted with such as brush, roller or spray. Worst case it will not touch up well and you have to repaint a wall here or a wall there.

Sounds like low probability of easy fix.......thanks for candid feedback, lads.

Latest posts

Back