Interior wall question and problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takidd4597

Reaction score
My wife and I bought this house and it is approx 8 years old and we have very noisy floors. When going to put down laminate I was pulling the carpet only to find that where the main hallway wall is(and the most creaking)the entire wall appears to be shimmed with shim-shingles under the bottom plate. I have never seen this and was wondering if this is a correct way to do this. This was a wall that was built when the home was new(not an add-on).

How can I correct this as the noisy floors are driving us crazy?

I plan on screwing the sub-flooring down with good exterior star-drive screws. Is there something else that I need to do?

Sounds like when they built the house, they framed the interior walls afterwards. They build them short so they can stand them up inside, then shim them up to hold them in place firmly.
Not a good practic, but as long as they are not load bearing, it does not hold much weight.
Another reason is that the house floor and ceiling joists also shrinks over time, but the studs do not shrink lengthwise.

Screw the floor, and it should be fine, good luck.

Or the floor joist have sagged down from being to narrow or not enough support under them.

Back