Internal Material Bowing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLman

Reaction score
There is a section of bathroom wall which is bowing in, the solid surface material on the right in this picture. I'm not sure what it's called, I see on the web people refer to it as corian or acrylic siding.

It is bowing in, and it seems that this problem is increasing lately.

PICT0012.JPG

You can see powder on the ground, that's not from me digging around in the wall, it is dropping on the ground from the dry wall separating. I sweep up the powder every few months. You can see the vertical pink tiles are separating from the corian due to the bending.

PICT0003.JPG

Due to the bowing, the acrylic material has snapped at the top in a few places. The house was built in 1971.

PICT0011.JPG

The bathroom does have a moisture fan which does a great job of removing humidity after showers,. The shower is used at least once daily, but not much more than that.

I did go outside and examine the wall outside of this bathroom with a 4 foot level. and,while not perfectly level, the wall is not bowing either in or out vertically. Much of the house is constructed of 6" thick poured concrete walls. I can always figure out where because its like tapping your knuckles on a sidewalk. But where this problem is, with the bowing of the corian, the outside wall of the house is not made of concrete.

PICT0019.JPG

In case it matters, the roof over this bathroom is flat.

Below, X marks the spot where inside the corian is bowing.

PICT0025 CR.jpg

I have a progressive problem here and not sure if it's a dangerous one or not a big deal. I don't think the acrylic material is load bearing, but this bowing may indicate a serious problem. I can post more pics if needed.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd have the panel removed and find out why it's bowing, but initially, suspect a roof leak which may also be the cause of the wall damage behind the bidet.

You have a sharp eye, Snoonyb, and thanks for your suggestion about just taking the panel out.

Behind the Bidet what you are seeing is my failed attempt at wall papering. After taking out a section of drywall to fix the failed check-valve of the bidet, I simply could not successfully glue the spare wall paper back down and make it look nice. When I did this fix I saw no indications of water damage, either from the roof or the plumbing.

By the way, this 1970's American Standard "wall mount" bidet is more fun than Six Flags!

IMG_20181203_013241713.jpgIMG_20181208_121311012.jpg

I'll bet.
I'd be interested in the structure behind the panel.Somethings going on.

Back