Is a HEPA Dust Containment Vacuum a smart purchase or overkill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynewoldhouse

Reaction score
my wife and i just bought our first home and it's a 100-year old colonial with plaster walls.

i've made myself overly paranoid regarding dust, lead, asbestos, etc. i am wondering whether it makes sense to just purchase one of the smaller, more-affordable (~$500 from my research) dust containment systems from the likes of Festool or similar.

reason being, i have an infant at home and hopefully more to come. i want them to be as protected from harm as possible.

furthermore we plan on doing minor things to the home (paint, drilling holes, etc.) and i'd like to take all the proper precautions.

thanks!

A dust free or reduced environment is never a bad thing. For health or just keeping dust buildup out of electronics and surfaces in general. As to is it going to make your home more healthy or how much more healthy is hard to say.

We live in Pa and have a large Amish population and a doctor friend told me of some studies where the Amish children had the best immune systems around. Those kids are on the ground in the dirt around farm animals, heating and cooking with smokey wood stoves, no insulation, no refrigeration outdoor open pit toilets, and the list goes on.

I read another report about allergies to nuts and kids and they said kids that were given a taste of peanut butter at a couple months old hardly ever had problems later.

So I just don't know, but if you can afford a whole house filter system I don't think it will do any harm, on the same note IMO it won't make much of a difference.

Latest posts

Back