Is acoustic sealant/vapor barrier toxic???

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by gefstra, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1

gefstra

gefstra

gefstra

Hello all, I just finished putting up a vapor barrier (after insulating) my children's bedrooms. To insure for an air-tight VB, it was suggested I use an acoustic sealant / vapour barrier sealnt; like LePage and many others.
    It's been a few days since the application and I have not yet installed the drywall panels. However the rooms STINK of that poignant smell of the acoustic sealant.

Once covered with drywall, plastered and painted; will this have any harmful odors or evilness that will be harmful to my children?

please help
    George

2. Nov 15, 2012 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It does call for use in a well ventulated area. It is most often used in new construction there by gets lots of ventualtion before anyone moves in. It has something like 9% voc, I think that is below the acceptable level. Once the walls are closed up I think this will subside and as the idea was to stop air flow it should not be expected to be a problem.
    I am not any kind of expert and others here may not agree.

3. Nov 15, 2012 #3

gefstra

gefstra

gefstra

Thanks Nealtw, i have to say that since I made my post, I had to proceed with the drywalling any way and the odor has already significantly subsided. I can only assume that when the plaster goes up things should continue to improve.
    thanks for the feedback

4. Nov 15, 2012 #4

notmrjohn

notmrjohn

notmrjohn

Obnoxious Knowitalll

Wouldn't hurt to put a box fan in window to blow air out and speed up process..

5. Nov 15, 2012 #5

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It might be something to think about, but mold can be dangerous.