Is an FHA 203(k) loan practical, or even possible?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopeda

Reaction score
There is a house that was built in 1850 that I would like to have but it needs a lot of work. There was a septic tank but it has gotten beyond use and the city said since there is a sewer line very close the property can't have another septic tank. But that part of the public sewer is a force main so the place will need a pump and someone to tie into the public system costing an extra $10K or so. It also needs a furnace. There is a baseboard system through the 2 story house with 2 zones and most of that is hopefully still in ok condition but it needs a furnace and to be tied in to the baseboard system. It needs a water heater and liner for the chimney. Also the windows are old and let some cold air get in and some panes are broken. It is a foreclosure so owned by a bank. Every room needs cosmetic work. All of the carpet has been removed.

But! The location is fantastic for my personal interests and the house itself would also be very good if/when finally put back into decent condition (the previous occupants not only didn't improve the property but put it in worse condition). I have recently moved here from a different state and would like to make this place my home, but have been unable to find a lender who is willing to help. I have been pre-approved by a couple of lending agencies but they don't want to get involved with a place that needs this type of work.

I have read things that lead me to believe with an FHA 203(k) you can get a mortgage and also borrow additional money for making repairs and you can also do repairs yourself. One person in this seemingly hopeless journey said you can do some work yourself but you can't buy materials and do work yourself with money associated with the loan...that all of the work done with money from the loan must be done by a contractor. Later is seems they begin to change their tune and say that every bit of the work done to the place must be done by a contractor.

What I from my naive and ignorant pov would like to do would be to get the purchase price of $45K-$50K and borrow an additional $30K-$35K not going over $80K total. Then have contractors do the work I can't do like tie in the sewer, install a furnace and install a water heater, chimney liner and whatever else to use up the additional borrowed amount and get the place livable. Then move in and continue fixing the place up myself. But nooooo.... the places all end up saying that every bit of all repairs must be done in the most expensive way possible by contractors including work you could do yourself. Forcing people to do everything in the most expensive way at a time when they are most interested in trying to save money by doing work themselves and want!!! to do what work they can for themselves because supposedly it is their!!! house. But as I said, nooooo.... the lenders will not allow. So am I missing something and there really is a way to do this from my position--I've been pre-approved by 3 places already--or is my interpretation correct and there's no way a person in my position can borrow the money, get it livable using contractors and then move in and finish getting things the way he wants them himself?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David
Maine, USA

David first off welcome to the forum and having seen you haven’t any replies yet I will give your thread a bump and my 2 cents.

First off you are correct the system seems rigged against the DIY spirit in this country now. Banks don’t want to lend money to you unless you don’t need it. I’m a baby boomer that’s 64 years old and in my dads days in the 50s and 60s half the houses on our block were built by guys like my father that’s were learning as they went along. Most of these houses are better than any of the builder homes slapped up in the 80s and 90s. Sometimes banks would lend them some once the property was purchased and the house was under way, but it was mostly build a little save a little and your neighbors helped out with the heavy lifting when you needed it.

Those days are long gone for the most part. Six years ago we bought a distressed home that was abandoned, built in the 1880s. It started on the market for 85k and because it needed work and the community wasn’t moving fast with reality the flippers passed it over and the rental market wasn’t great. It sat 2 years freezing all winters and dropping in price. Mortgages were bought and sold and this place was owned by a bank in Ca and we are in Pa. I went in and offered them $24,000 and got it for $24,500 we had the cash so it was an as is deal and the bank was glad to be done with it. We did a rapid clean out and partial demo and I made it good enough to move in. Water, sewer, heat, hot plate & microwave and a bedroom to sleep in. We then paid as we went and worked our butts off for the next couple years. Work at our jobs all day and then work till 11-12 before bed and go crazy on the weekends. The good part is at the other end we have a really nice home now haven’t paid one cent in interest and have a ton of sweat equity built in.

So the short answer is yes it can still be done and the American Dream is not totally dead. It’s not easy but if you have some skills and are willing to give up a lot of your time it’s really smart way to go. The good thing is with a forum like this you can get a lot of help for free.

As to your boiler and water heater. The new stuff that is high efficiency doesn’t require a chimney and can be vented out thru the basement wall. Both of those jobs are DIY the water heater being the easiest. They also have systems that combine the two. The sewer connection is a tough one because you need to go with the local rules. Code and what you can get away with as DIY is different all over the country. Learn the ins and outs before you buy anything. Where we live it’s one of the easiest places for DIYers.

The other big items are foundation and water intrusion and roofs.

If you can beg borrow and steal or save enough to get started and in the house then you can do a lot a little at a time.

It has to be a labor of love. If I had to pay for all the stuff we did here I would be totally upside down.

I sold real estate years ago. I remember this exact scenario. My young buyers had a relative who was a contractor. They "hired" him, and he then "hired" them, to work on their own home. Bada Bing.

I sold real estate years ago. I remember this exact scenario. My young buyers had a relative who was a contractor. They "hired" him, and he then "hired" them, to work on their own home. Bada Bing.
That’s a good work around if someone has the connections.

Back