Is carpentry genetic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
Do you think carpentry has a genetic component? An inate knowlege. If you consider that humans have been using tools for millions of years, so families have been carpenters.
If your father, your grandfather and your great grandfather were all carpenters is fair to say you have it in your 'blood.' Who know how long it could be in a family linage, 200 years ago people didn't have so much choice of profession as today.

Probably not as much genetic as just a passed down trade that is not as easily learned if you don't have some fundamentals in the trade to start with.

The best carpenters that I have met are the sons and daughters of carpenters though.

Its a dying craft as well.

I come from a long line if men and women who aren't that good at carpentry. We try, but we just can't get it. I'm one of the best, but that means I can repair basic stuff and that's it.

Is it genetic? Sure to an extent, but it's also a nurture thing. Nurture can only take us as far as nature will let us.

Back