Is it normal for a boiler to kick on once an hour in summer/fall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveCity

Reaction score
We've moved into a home with a Slant/Fin boiler. Even with all thermostats set to OFF the boiler will kick on for about a minute once every hour or so. We're planning to have the entire HVAC system checked before cold weather sets it but I was curious about the boiler. It's all new to me. Do they cycle through even in warm weather just to test themselves?

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer to your question but it sounds quite frequent to me as well. We have some pros here who should be able to give you an answer when they show up today.

Thanks! Since I first posted I've learned there are cold start and warm start boilers and that a warm start can be shut off in summer. Our Slant/Fan has standard (household style) switch right on the side in the 'on' position.

I've also learned that some boilers are set up to deliver DHW (domestic hot water) as well, though I doubt this is the case with ours as we also have a hot water heater right next to it.

It really depends on how the boiler control is set up.
1) some boiler run off a central t'sat
2) some boiler hold a certain temp and then other t;sat start pumps or zone valves , this sounds like that type of system.

Is your water heater electric or gas? If it was running off the boiler it will be a separate zone off the boiler and will have tubes running to it as it would work like a heat exchange water to water type.

It sounds like the switch is a manual way to shut it down during warm months. Maybe @billshack will elaborate more.

Latest posts

Back