Is it possible to just replace the adjustable wood insert in threshold?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacumming

Reaction score
Is it possible to just replace the adjustable wood insert in threshold?
***I want to just replace the adjustable wood filler insert in the sill if at all possible.

Threshold is 36 inches as normal on the french door that opens but as you can see the entire threshold is about 75 inches long.

Screws are 10 inch apart. 3 inch in from the ends.

To put a new one in I would prob have to cut 1/2 of the 75 inch metal threshold from the door that opens at 36 inch point and put in a new one.

BUT I RATHER:
Try to determine who makes it and then if I can remove ONLY the adjustable wood sill filler since it is frozen and the screws are stripped. I would buy a new threshold and my hopes are to take it apart and just replace the adjustable sill.

Do not know who makes this. Wrote a few people with no luck.
Pictures are at my website:
http://www.bebolderhireolder.com/BackDoorThresh/
Thoughts?

Thank you very much, Peter

Welcome.
I'd check the local, other than big boxes, lumber vendors, for oak sill or door stop and make my own.

Be hard to make my own. Do not have the equipment. Just was hoping to find something similar in screw distance apart and shape of the adjustable wood insert and buy new threshold, take out insert from new one and then HOPE to put in the existing threshold I have. Issue is I do not know who makes my threshold. Been to a few building supply stores and such.

Also do not know if the insider adjustable filler (I have seen it called filler) is actually removable....

Thanks

I'd take it apart, so you can see what exactly you are dealing with.

This was made by man, probably assembled from an existing stock, so it can be replicated.

Will prob hire the guy who did front door to replace when the door starts to be even harder to close and corner swells more. So far no leaks of air or water. I did sand down the adjustable piece a bit. It is about 96 degrees out and also the door may need to be replaced someday.. It is one of those metal doors with wood in between and a piece of double pane glass and fake cross hatch (whatever you call them) that make it look like individual panes...

Thanks Snoonyb.

Look up muttons & mullions, referred to in the trades as mutts & mulls.

Yes, you can replace that adjustable filler. Have your carpenter take it out and mill up a new one to fit from a piece of oak. Not a difficult job.

You can sand down with a vibrating sander.

Add a sweep if air starts coming through.

Also, you can rub dry teflon spray on the door bottom where it sticks.

Back