Is it possible to take apart and clean up stain in a glass sliding door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z_johnq

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I have a couple of glass sliding doors, one in the family room and the other in the walk-out basement. They are double-pane doors. But the moisture sneaked in between the panes and left stain on the inside of the glass. I can see the rubber seal on the frame is kind of stiff and hard, which helps water get inside of the door.
The doors are in good condition and too good to replace the whole door. But not sure how to expose the inside of the pane to clean up the stains.
Please let me know if more info needed.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 10
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 10
Generally, these dual pane units are tempered glass, and filled with an inert gas, either argon or krypton and you will do yourself a favor having them repaired by a vendor in your area, who can replace the seal and refill the unit.

How old are these?
Any idea on what brand they are?
If there newer the company may replace them for free.
If your lucky enough to even find a company that has the equipment and know how and is willing to give you a warranty on the repair it will likely cost as much as a new door.

Thanks guys for the tips.
How old are they? The house was built in 1979, at least 40 years old. Filled with argon gas? I doubt they were since the seal is just rubber band as in the 2nd pic, not even silicon filler was used. I guess some rubber band cannot prevent gas from escaping. Probably silicon caulk wasn't on the market by that time.
I'll look around and shop for the sliding door.
Thanks again.

Sorry that I probably didn't make it clear. It's the stationary part of the door that has stain in it and the sliding door has no stains at all. Because only the stationary door is of double-pane.
If I want to replace the whole door, how can I take it down?
Thanks.

It's a good idea to replace it. Depending on your part of the country, it could make a big difference in your heating/cooling bill. The technology, as you can imagine, has come a long way in 40 years

Back