Is it recommended to connect french drain to downspouts?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagetrip

Reaction score
Hello,

Our house is at the bottom of the hill so we get a ton of water in our yard during winter season. The previous owners built a badly DIY french drain and just left the drain exit open in the side yard. During heavy rains the side yard floods. We were trying many alternatives to properly drain the water coming out of french drain. We wanted to pipe it out of the property and connect to City drains but it seems way too expensive and the permit process is a nightmare. I was told that I can instead connect the french drain to downspouts. Our downspouts seem to have a drainage system that connects them directly to the city drains. I can't see where the downspout connections go as they are all underground and I think its safe to assume that they are connected to the city drain via drainage system.

Is it safe to connect french drain to down spouts that are hugging our walls and foundation? This seems to be an inexpensive solution. I am also planning to build concrete deck and my contractor suggested that he build a small drain system around the concrete deck and connect that to other down spout drains as well. Is it an acceptable practice?

Thanks.

We have no idea what your city codes allow for connecting into their system. Best to ask them, but then you risk opening up a can of worms. Asking forgiveness instead of permission can be expensive. You could say you're "asking for a friend".

this is what i recommend , Have your downspouts land adjacent to the house.
But then did a large hole under them going to the French drain. then fill the hole with 3/4 gravel . the gravel will act as a filter to remove leaves and debris that would block up a French drain

Water must not pool up around the foundation.

It is usually not a good idea for water to go down into a hole close to the foundation. But if water did go down such a hole and never overflowed and never seeped into the basement then you are okay for now.

Small amounts of wetness where the basement foundation wall meets the basement floor are not tolerable. Any water pouring onto and into the ground up above would be immediately suspect and would then need to be rerouted elsewhere.

There should not be a dishing or depression around the foundation filled with gravel or mulch or other porous material.

Back