Quantcast

Is my basement okay?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Snoonyb

Reaction score
If there is no evidence of significant cracking you can use a board, a level and a tape measure to monitor the wall, over the years, for deflection.

Steve123

Reaction score
Is my basement okay?
No. You should get rid of that plastic dryer vent and use smooth rigid steel. Corrugated tubing will collect lint, the plastic will degrade and fail, and is a greater fire hazard. Doubt it is even code allowed.

Rich

Reaction score
If there is no evidence of significant cracking you can use a board, a level and a tape measure to monitor the wall, over the years, for deflection.
I don’t see any cracking at all near that side of the wall. By the support beam there is some vertical cracking. Is the cracking usually a sign of a bowed wall?

Rich

Reaction score
No. You should get rid of that plastic dryer vent and use smooth rigid steel. Corrugated tubing will collect lint, the plastic will degrade and fail, and is a greater fire hazard. Doubt it is even code allowed.
Thanks for the heads up. What about the wall?

Steve123

Reaction score
Can't tell from the pictures. Put a straight edge against it to check for bow. But if you stand in front of it and can't tell, it can't be bowed much, if at all.