Is running EMT under the eave of the house considered out doors and I have to use waterproof couplers?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvc714

Reaction score
I am thinking of installing security cameras at my house. I would like to run CAT5e inside of an EMT conduit.

I was wondering if anybody knows that if I do it to code, I have to use waterproof couplers to join the conduit together since it is under the eave of my house and not directly exposed to excessive moisture such as rain?

How about in an open car port? Is that still considered outdoors even though 3 of the 4 walls are enclosure?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, why not use 1/2” PVC? if it’s not exposed to direct sunlight it shouldn’t sag, any chance of fishing the cable above a soffit?
Geo

Thanks for the response Geo.

Unfortunately, I cannot pace it under the soffit or attic as the house does not have an attic (flat roof).

I selected EMT because it is metal and metal blocks EMF from 120v as I may have to run electrical nearby in the future.

The reason you would use watertight coupling is because people have and use water hoses to wash anything.

Codes are in anticipation of and for, protecting you, from you.

Thanks for the response Snoonyb.

I understand code tries to make things idiot proof. At the same time, code is not an exhaustive list to account for everything that may happen.

My question was, because EMT is outdoors under an eave, does code still require watertight coupling even though it will never get wet from weather?

And as I addressed, people use hoses and water to wash things.

Thank you Snoonyb.

I am not going to hose down and the soffit areas of my house for obvious reasons.

According to your response, the NEC code saids if it is outdoors even though sheltered, I am required to use watertight fittings?

Outside is outside. I'd use water tight couplings. Not worth having to redo it if you have problems like condensation.

Does network cable even have to be in conduit since it's low voltage? Could you hide a single run of cat wire behind the gutter or something?

Coax and network cables don't need to be in conduit. The insulation will degrade faster due to UV damage if exposed. I did FiOS installs for Verizon a few years ago, I saw a lot of crappy looking wiring for low voltage stuff. I always tried to run my stuff in straight runs tucked up under the bottom edge of the siding with enough cable clamps to keep it from sagging. I can't say everyone did that.

I am thinking of installing security cameras at my house. I would like to run CAT5e inside of an EMT conduit.

I was wondering if anybody knows that if I do it to code, I have to use waterproof couplers to join the conduit together since it is under the eave of my house and not directly exposed to excessive moisture such as rain?

How about in an open car port? Is that still considered outdoors even though 3 of the 4 walls are enclosure?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on local code, you may have to house low voltage wires but, it is not common to my knowledge.
So the answer to you question is NO. However, if you plan to run plan to run electrical in the future then that run may have to be enclosed in water-resistant EMT couplers. For now install Shielded CAT5E and you won't have to worry about EMF.

Boy I know what you mean about the cable companies. You should see the mess DirecTV has on the back of my house. For th OP if the conduit wouldn't see much rain the a cable in that area shouldn't see much sun you'd think. Maybe tuck it it the F Chanel or something like that. A location like that isn't likely to have rodent issues either. Running conduit for a single network cable seems like overkill. But I over build 99% of what I do too.

Thanks for responding.

To address some of the issues that was brought up.

1. The current cable company installed CAT5e outdoors without a conduit which I am fine with. The reason I am putting it into EMT because these will be security cameras and I don't want somebody to easily cut it.

2. The reason I picked EMT instead of PVC is that EMT is metal and can block EMF as I will have to rewire part of the house and run the cable nearby the CAT5e in the future. I know I can get shielded CAT5e but I already have a box of CAT5e and buying a new box of shielded outdoor CAT5e would increase my cost by 10x.

The question now is what type of couler will be sufficient.

Here are two links. One is near double the price.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-...Compression-Coupling-35-Pack-62401B/206126683
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1...ompression-Couplings-35-Pack-62601B/300183398
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back