Is this a big deal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi all,

general thoughts on this area? I know it needs repaired but is it dangerous? It’s been like this for awhile but possibly getting slightly worse. Estimated cost?

thanks!

Attachments

• 3D024CE3-B6DE-4BE2-91F6-815B8538BFF6.jpeg
    3D024CE3-B6DE-4BE2-91F6-815B8538BFF6.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 21
Yes it's a big deal, your footings sinking.
As far as prices your going to have to get some local prices on having this mud jacked back into place.

Hi all,

general thoughts on this area? I know it needs repaired but is it dangerous? It’s been like this for awhile but possibly getting slightly worse. Estimated cost?

thanks!

It's hard to tell with just one picture. What is this? Is it a fireplace or a foundation for the home? Do you have more pictures?

It's hard to tell with just one picture. What is this? Is it a fireplace or a foundation for the home? Do you have more pictures?
It’s the chimney outside. Like I said it’s been like this probably for 5-10 years but possibly getting worse

I would also check for water under the house, specifically that area. Drainage may be another issue to address.

Does it look “dangerous” ? What would
My next immediate step be and could this wait a bit to get fixed?

Again, without more pictures it's impossible to tell what is going on. I would like to see pictures of the 3 exposed exteriors of the fireplace chimney from the ground to the top. I would like to see what is going on where the chimney is attached to the house.

You have a crack on the corner. At this point we don't know what caused it. Something could have hit it or it could be the foundation is sinking or it could be a windstorm came along and blew so much pressure against the chimney that it caused the cracks. We just don't know.

From the looks of this, it appears there was a footing brought out of the ground when the house was built. The mortar looks like it is a slightly different color. That appears to be just below where this chimney crack starts. That footing also appears to be level in your photo..

So the first thing I would do is to put a level on that area below where the crack starts and see if the footing is straight and level.

Back