Is this a good price?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
I had a guy come out and give me a bid for a new deck here's the scope of work on his end:
-Rip down old 228sqft deck and posts and haul out
-Regrade ground underneath old deck and slope away from house (entire 228sqft area needs to come up about 12"
-Set new posts
-Remove first two rows of vinyl siding about 17ft and expose OSB because may have water damage, and repair
-install proper flashing of ledger board and rebuild deck with treated lumber
The price I received was 6k. Is this a good price for this? I was thinking more like 3-4K ?
Here's a few pics of old deck and underside of ledger that's not flashed properly so who knows how much rot is under there

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6191.PNG
    IMG_6191.PNG
    281.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6192.PNG
    IMG_6192.PNG
    163.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6193.PNG
    IMG_6193.PNG
    294.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Ask after you have 3 or more bids for the same exact project.

What does that mean?

We don't know your area, so the only way to know if its a good or bad price is to compare it to some other bids. Your expectation that it should cost $3-4K really only matters if you find someone to do it for that price.

We don't know your area, so the only way to know if its a good or bad price is to compare it to some other bids. Your expectation that it should cost $3-4K really only matters if you find someone to do it for that price.

TEXAS!

What does that mean?

It means, obtain multiple quotes for the exact same project from multiple contractors, so you have, in your hand, multiple quotes to compare.

Then post those quotes, along with your question.

I'd strongly suggest that deck be #1, lower then it is, #2, made to be free standing so there's 0 chance of future damage to the home.
I'd also venture to guess that door was also never properly flashed under it, based just on what I've seen done on hundreds of other homes in the past.
Building any stoop or deck even with the threshold is a huge building 101 mistake.

Latest posts

Back