Is this a reasonable cost for drywall repair?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Mother-in-laws house has drywall damage in a bedroom due to roof leak. Contractor proposes replacing drywall on entire 8 x 13 wall (one window) with tape and texture to match room, and replace insulation between two studs, for $1900. In Sacramento CA area. Does that sound reasonable?

Find a handy-man with a hopper & comp., about $750, part of 3 days.

That is a big difference. Professional handymen hard to find around here. Mostly finding contractors, who aren't really interested in such a small job, and guys who claim they can do it as a side job but work in other trades.

Guess I will keep looking.

If you know any real estate agents ask them for recommendations. Most have several handymen that do work for them. For a GC this is too small a job to bother with especially when there are so many bigger jobs available.

I have found word of mouth is pretty good way to find someone good in a certain trade for a small job. If you have a family owned hardware store in your town ask the owner. The big box stores I don’t trust as no one seems to be in charge. But a small lumber yard will tell you call so and so he does great work and is reasonably priced.

Another option is DIY if you feel you are up to it. Drywall repair isn’t that hard. Getting sheets of drywall home without a truck can be tricky.

If you know any real estate agents ask them for recommendations. Most have several handymen that do work for them. For a GC this is too small a job to bother with especially when there are so many bigger jobs available.
Excellent suggestion - thanks!

Another option is DIY if you feel you are up to it. Drywall repair isn’t that hard. Getting sheets of drywall home without a truck can be tricky.
Like most long-term homeowners, I have done minor drywall repair and wish I could tackle this job - I think it would be fun to try. Unfortunately, I just have too many other priorities. How did I ever get things done BEFORE I retired???

My area, (Philly), $250 a sheet, taped, ready to paint. $1,900 seems a little high assuming there is no mold remediation - HOWEVER it is Cali (so double my costs:eek::eek:)?!?

I asked on a local Facebook group and found an unlicensed contractor who did the job for $1100. Looks great.

Back