Is this a ripoff?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by battongeor227, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1

battongeor227

battongeor227

battongeor227

I had a company come out and give me an estimate on my windows for installation and materials. They will replace 1 picture window, 9 regular double pane windows, 4 hoppers with 10 custom metal wrap all white w/argon and foam wrap. The entire job was quoted at $3340. I know nothing about price of materials and wanted some other opinions.

2. Feb 11, 2010 #2

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Well-Known Member Sponsor

Get enough bids so they cluster.

relative price
    $0...$2....$4....$6
    ...a....b.cd.......e

The true cost of your job in your area today is probably bid c or bid d.
    Company a is using substandard materials or labor and
    company e is looking for suckers.

If you get bids identical down to the dollar it may be price-fixing. Prices off the Web will be probably be low-balled.
    Low-Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some advise telling each bidder that you are getting other bids. I don't usually tell them. If you do tell them and you see the smile disappear, I'd eliminate that candidate.

Or take a look at RS Means [publisher] books on construction costs at your local Border's or Barnes & Noble's.

Or,
    Cost of Replacement Windows - Get Prices and Estimates - CostHelper.com
    If this
    http://zipskinny.com/
    says your median household income is higher than the US avg. of $50K then you can expect to pay more.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #3

Doorguy4ya

Doorguy4ya

Doorguy4ya

door guy 4 ya

ask for references, most contractors will have a long list of references that you can call to see if they are reputable and won't rip you off. Call at least 5 contractors and get prices per window...most will give you a price thats better for the entire job, then compare the single peice rates and added charges.

4. Feb 12, 2010 #4

Doorguy4ya

Doorguy4ya

Doorguy4ya

door guy 4 ya

also, dont be afraid to "dicker", most contractors that do good work will be willing to come down about 3 to 5% of their quote to get the job. Stay away from the ones that give really low quotes or are willing to cut their prices in half, this means either a/theyre desperate or b/ they dont do good work and dont get alot of business.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #5

champagne

champagne

champagne

You need to get a lot of bids, I did some research and that doesn't sound too bad, but there are a lot of sites out there that will allow you to easily connect with window replacement contractors in your area. I found a few sites including this one: How much do replacement windows cost?

That should give you a good idea. But get lots of bids! and use them to dicker.

6. Jun 29, 2010 #6

elan123

elan123

elan123

More bids/offers the better price you get. And get references, like someone above posted, very good to have before work.