Is this an issue?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActuariallySpeaking

Reaction score
I've noticed a bedroom door is a bit harder to shut (I honestly can't remember if it was hard to shut before?) and there are some cracks in our drywall. Is this just typical winter settling or is it a sign of a bigger problem? I looked around our foundation (on the inside) and can find a few small cracks (or so i thought!) but am now starting to worry because hard shutting doors can be a sign of a problem! I've attached the cracks (btw- the windows were installed two years ago) and the foundation cracks that I can find.

20180202_132846.jpg

20180202_132900.jpg

20180202_133357.jpg

20180202_133211.jpg

20180202_133150.jpg

20180202_133145.jpg

20180202_133135.jpg

20180202_133018.jpg

20180202_132948.jpg

20180202_132943.jpg

the super dark one is actually a duplicate, so you can disregard that photo (it's not anything new)

Are you suggesting that all of those cracks happened recently and that prior to this there were no cracks? Nothing about these looks like anything other than normal settling over time, but if it all happened one weekend that might mean a larger cause for concern. Also can you tell why the doors are stuck (is it because the frames are out of square?).

On a separate note, do you know how to spot an extroverted actuary?

Are you suggesting that all of those cracks happened recently and that prior to this there were no cracks? Nothing about these looks like anything other than normal settling over time, but if it all happened one weekend that might mean a larger cause for concern. Also can you tell why the doors are stuck (is it because the frames are out of square?).

On a separate note, do you know how to spot an extroverted actuary?

No, I don't think these happened all at once... I'm not exactly sure when they happened, but it certainly wasn't over a weekend (I've got some pregnancy brain... it's made me in to a complete space cadet lately) I guess I just saw something online saying horizontal cracks + a door that doesn't fit was a recipe for foundation disaster, and, I wanted to remedy any issues (thinking it may be a cheaper fix the sooner that it's caught, if it was an issue) The door may be out of square- my husband just informed me it's always been like this "because of the hinges because they're crappy hollow core doors." I'm not sure what that means, but I'm just going to go with it. :rolleyes:

oh and... when they look at the other person's shoes instead of their own ;)

Old joke but a good one.

Most of the time these things are nothing and should be watched. The door can be trimmed and fit to work again. Houses are always moving a little. :)

No, I don't think these happened all at once... I'm not exactly sure when they happened, but it certainly wasn't over a weekend (I've got some pregnancy brain... it's made me in to a complete space cadet lately) I guess I just saw something online saying horizontal cracks + a door that doesn't fit was a recipe for foundation disaster, and, I wanted to remedy any issues (thinking it may be a cheaper fix the sooner that it's caught, if it was an issue) The door may be out of square- my husband just informed me it's always been like this "because of the hinges because they're crappy hollow core doors." I'm not sure what that means, but I'm just going to go with it. :rolleyes:

Then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Houses settle cracks happen, nothing here that points to any larger issue. I am curious why you seem to have wire or conduit running on the outside of the wall in finished spaces, but that's more stylistic than anything else.

oh and... when they look at the other person's shoes instead of their own ;)

Old joke but a good one.

As a recovering actuary (made it to the Associate level in the SOA before heading for greener pastures), I don't get the chance to make these jokes often enough.

Last edited:
Then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Houses settle cracks happen, nothing here that points to any larger issue. I am curious why you seem to have wire or conduit running on the outside of the wall in finished spaces, but that's more stylistic than anything else.

Oh it's a rope light... my husband is obsessed with the things. I think it's kind of ugly, but does create a nice ambiance lighting lol

As a recovering actuary (made it to the Associate level in the SOA before heading for greener pastures), I don't get the chance to make these jokes often enough.

I am 1 (well, they are adding one in July, so really 2) away from getting my ASA. I sometimes ponder finding another line of work because of the exams, but I'm starting to actually enjoy it more, plus I get to work from home most of the time which is a super nice perk... sounds like you were able to find something that works better for you though!

I am 1 (well, they are adding one in July, so really 2) away from getting my ASA. I sometimes ponder finding another line of work because of the exams, but I'm starting to actually enjoy it more, plus I get to work from home most of the time which is a super nice perk... sounds like you were able to find something that works better for you though!

For me, the exams were the easy part. I hated the work. Thankfully I tricked AIG into paying for me to go to law school at night.

Last edited:
Back