Is this foundation crack legit or what?!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
IMG_9984.JPG IMG_9985.JPG IMG_9986.JPG IMG_9987.JPG Hey guys so today I noticed while working outside that my house (built in 2001) has what looks like a foundation crack at the seam or line thing that I think is where the form feasted. Do these cracks look like I should have someone come dig down a bit and water proof? How would you "grade" this crack? Need to know if I should be worried or not. Can't see it from inside it's a fully finished basement. Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mulch should not be above the damp proofing on the wall, that can add moisture to the wall.
If you have a perimeter drain and permeable soil there would be o reason for water to push in there. In a perfect world you would like to have some sealer on the crack. It is not a structure issue.

Your mulch should not be above the damp proofing on the wall, that can add moisture to the wall.
If you have a perimeter drain and permeable soil there would be o reason for water to push in there. In a perfect world you would like to have some sealer on the crack. It is not a structure issue.
Hmm not sure if there is damp proofing on the wall I'll have to dig down a small spot to see. I did notice some pink board around the foundation walls but strange thing is is that it doesn't go around the whole basement. Under the deck I see pink exposed about 4" above the grade but on the other end of house I dug down to see if I had pink board around the entire basement and discovered after about 12" hole I didn't see any. Weird

See the black on the wall, that should be the top of the dirt against the wall. That is what we call damp proofing. That is different than other products that would be water proofing.
FoamBoardInsulation.jpg

Back