Is this method suitable for repairing the roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhiling0229

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in this forum. Recently the living room of my house have been leaking especially during heavy downpours. After checking the roof condition I realize the wall develop cracks which causes the water sip into the house.

So I decided to cover the roof with another roof as shown in the picture. To prevent the rain from dropping into the damage roof. Is this a good method to repair this damage. Need some pointers. Thank you

A sketch of the damage area and the propose design is shown in the picture.

roof.JPG

Welcome to the Forum Zhiling:
Yes, it looks like the method you have proposed will work. I don't know how much space you are spanning though or how thick your plastic sheet is. If you are using Plexiglass 1/8" thick you should not try to span more than 16" or 1/4" not more than 24". I percieve this to be a skylight or something similar to that; if it is a large area (over 24") you should use flashing at the wall and extending out onto the roof. A metal flashing (copper, galvanized metal, or aluminum) should cover the crack at the wall and eliminate your problem. Let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Back