Is this MOLD?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by kc2651, Jan 5, 2008.

  1. Jan 5, 2008 #1

    kc2651

    kc2651

    kc2651

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have this in my basement not sure if it is mold does anyone know? :) Thanks

    mold77.jpg

    mold78.jpg
     
  2. Jan 6, 2008 #2

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    No, just some greyish stain. I see that in pine wood all the time. Don't know what it is. Maybe it was mold at one time, before they cut the tree.

    Mold will be dark black and sort of fuzzy looking, like what you see on old bread. Also, mold will not form in what you show in the photos because it's not wet.
     
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #3

    Phatboy

    Phatboy

    Phatboy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Messages:
    194
    Likes Received:
    28
    Tool guy is correct. Its just the coloring of the wood, I acctually like it verses clean man made looking wood.
     
  4. Jan 7, 2008 #4

    Quattro

    Quattro

    Quattro

    Massive Tool Belt

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yup, some of the floor joists in my house look similar. Not mold!
     
  5. Jan 7, 2008 #5

    cheesefood

    cheesefood

    cheesefood

    Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    1
    I'm about 95% idiot, but isn't most of the wood pretty mold-resistant? I thought that mold only attacked drywall and the studs/joists on really old homes.
     
  6. Jan 7, 2008 #6

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    No.. mold will grow on pretty much anything that retains moisture. Actually, the douglas fir used on older houses, say pre 1930's, is a little more resistant than today's fast grown yellow pine.

    Of course, treated lumber is resistant to mold.
     
  7. Jan 8, 2008 #7

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Messages:
    4,502
    Likes Received:
    267
    I hate when I have to do this but...
    Mold eats things which are cellulose based. Wood, paper,dust anything organic....and wet.OOOOOOO sounds nice.:p
    And it does grow on PT lumber, just on the exterior of it. That's why we all own pressure washers to clean our decks. But that is a non-toxic mold. It usually just staines the wood.
    That mold there is like Toolguy says...it come free with the lumber from an uncovered yard. I remember it from all those house sized piles I moved when I was framing homes...and my clothes got..well, moldy.:eek:
    Nothing to worry about until your home reaches the 55% humidity levels.
    That means you will start to smell it. If it smells moldy now...you may have mold growing somewhere else.
    The good thing is it can be tested, and cleaned.
     
  8. Jan 8, 2008 #8

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    Now see what you did? I done went an' lernt sumthin. :eek: But then, why then does it grow on fibergla... oh, dust. Never mind. :D
     
  9. Jan 8, 2008 #9

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Messages:
    4,502
    Likes Received:
    267
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day....teach a man to fish ...and he has to learn a whole new slew O' ways to git out of the house.;)
     
  10. Jan 18, 2008 #10

    Batavia_1009

    Batavia_1009

    Batavia_1009

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for that knowledge. I've seen that before too, but I wasn't sure if I needed to be concerned.
     

Share This Page