Is this urgent?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

in the process of getting a new roof. So a roofer evaluated my house and while he was on the roof a shingle fell off. It might be 2-3 months (hopefully tops before o get a new replacement roof) is it okay to leave a missing shingle this long? It rains a fair amount. Thanks all

What type of shingle?

Why didn't he put it back on?

I think it was a 3 tab shingle.

I have no idea

it is like halfway up my moderately steep roof. I haven’t noticed a leak. It looks like a blacks substance was beneath the shingle but it’s hard to tell since it’s high up

It depends on what is missing. Many times a tab can fall off and there is no problems. It depends if the missing part is where two shingles meet and the gap between them is exposed.
It is probably not an issue.

So, what happened to the shingle, or part of, the fell off?

Here is a detail that shows 3 tab installation, and the asphalt strip, which is activated by heat from the sun and was devised to hold the bottom of the shingle down in wind events; Details: Roofing

There are also different nailing schedules for wind prone areas.

Before replacing my wood shingle roof 25 years ago, I got by for a couple of years by replacing individual shingles with sheets of aluminum. With asphalt shingles you can bend up the tab above to nail under it. I couldn't do that with wood so I topped each nail with roofing cement. No leaks. I will be stunned if Youtube doesn't have tons of videos on how to replace a single shingle. Don't want to buy a whole box? My guess is any local roofer would happily give you one in hopes of getting your business.

When you get the quote for your new roof, also ask about the application of a self-adhesive water/ice barrier, e.g. Grace Ice & Water Shield. It isn't expensive and should always cover at least 3' from the edge of the roof, all of the valleys and 3' up both sides of valleys. When we had our new roof installed, I covered the entire roof with Grace, to completely eliminate the potential for leaks, e.g. due to ice dams or if a hurricane blows shingles off the roof.

Back