Is this white mold or something else?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Not sure this post is in the right place, but while working in my crawl space, I noticed some white fuzzy stuff on the ground while I was in the process of installing a new vapor barrier.

A handyman that I was using tossed around some lime under the house, claiming it would kill and mold which may be in the crawl space. In the attached photo, the white stuff appears to be growing on the pellets of lime. Is this normal? Should I treat this with something to kill it or let it go? I've stopped installing the vapor barrier until I can figure out what I should do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

white stuff.jpg

Lime will do not harm but it will not kill the mold. Bleach and water or Boric acid (boron) powder mixed with really hot water will.
For mold to form there has to be a reason. Leaking pipe, poor air circulation, high humidy. If there's no or not enough vents in that foundation then you can plan on mold or fungus to continue to grow.

Looks like mineral salts from the lime interacting with acidic ground water to me

Latest posts

Back