Is this wiring dangerous

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for information, your roof ic conventionally framed and there are no trusses, other than carpenters trusses. As an example the 2X4 in the 3rd photo is a purlin rafter.

I think I understand what you all are saying, but trying to understand the importance of this statement. Do I need this information for this application?

I think I understand what you all are saying, but trying to understand the importance of this statement. Do I need this information for this application?

No you do not need this for this application, and I may be wrong, yours may in fact be a truss roof.

It, however was offered as a clarification and to stress the importance using the correct terminology.

Folks who work in the trades often speak a different language of terminology then the general populace, so, when you are speaking the same terminology, understanding is much more thorough.

Those are in fact trusses. You can see the gusset plates in pic2 of post 13.
It is not relevant to job unless you are planning to cut one to get the new light in.

Hey guys I'll get up there and snap a few more photos this evening. I was actually hoping to find an outlet up there, so I could connect my sawzall and lamp, but wasn't expecting to see this. My first line of business was to replace this ladder that was barely being hung on. Then I wanted to start cleaning up the attic. We moved I to this house 1 month ago and it appears they used the attic for a dumpster during a remodel.
Judging from how that's wired I'd inspect the wiring throughout the entire home. Usually when I find something like that I find more oddly wired things.

Truss construction.
Usually you don't want to put to much stuff up there weight wise...but I have seen it all.
Good luck with the wiring issues, Neal has the best idea, clean everything up first, see what you have , and start from there.
Nothin worse than chasin yer tail.

Judging from how that's wired I'd inspect the wiring throughout the entire home. Usually when I find something like that I find more oddly wired things.

You are right about that. Perhaps you saw my original post on this site, just a small issue that has been resolved. http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22521

Also, I have found a few other concerns that I had planned on eventually posting about, but I'll go ahead and mention them.

In one bedroom, while switching out the ceiling light with a ceiling fan, I found that there was a Romex that was spliced together in the same light box that were still live when the breaker for that room was turn off. These wires I finally found power the fridge and microwave (not sure what else) on the the opposite side of the house. It seems that they just did not have enough Romex (or relocated some wire) to make it to the breaker box. The breaker box is actually just outside of that room and they added probably about 20 feet and connected them in that light box.

The Romex with the wire nuts is the one that sends power to the kitchen.
IMG_4736.jpg

In addition in this room, there is an outlet that only half works. There is only one light switch in that room, but behind the switch I found a red wire that is capped off by itself and there is a red wire connected to that partially dead outlet.

In another bedroom, I also have an electrical outlet with the same issue and appears to be wired the same. Also one light switch, with a red wire capped off. In addition there was also another live wire behind that light switch, when that breaker was off (different breaker from the other bedroom). I found that this sends power to a guest bathroom and that other room I was just describing.

Truss construction.
Usually you don't want to put to much stuff up there weight wise...but I have seen it all.

In case this is not a given, the beam on the very top, holding up the roof, are 2X6's. Also there is a 3.5 Ton AC unit on the roof.
I was hoping to put at least a little plywood up there, to store some holiday boxes and maybe a little camping stuff. Is this a bad idea?

In case this is not a given, the beam on the very top, holding up the roof, are 2X6's. Also there is a 3.5 Ton AC unit on the roof.
I was hoping to put at least a little plywood up there, to store some holiday boxes and maybe a little camping stuff. Is this a bad idea?

lay a few 2x4s across the area and then plywood, that will help spread any load and protect any wires that may be running in the way. Limit your storage to a few hundred pounds.

Its never a good idea to sture belongings in an attic with truss systems. Unless, they are made for storage, some are.
Yours does not look like a utility storage truss or a living area truss.

However, real world, light christmas boxes and othe such storage is in evey home I inspect with those same trusses. Usually no big deal, accept in snow load areas ..then I have seen sagging in the living space... your call.

I would load it with blown in Insulation, install an insulated cover over the scuttle / entry hole, call it a day with a cool beverage.:)

After you fix that mess of course.

You are right about that. Perhaps you saw my original post on this site, just a small issue that has been resolved. http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22521

Also, I have found a few other concerns that I had planned on eventually posting about, but I'll go ahead and mention them.

In one bedroom, while switching out the ceiling light with a ceiling fan, I found that there was a Romex that was spliced together in the same light box that were still live when the breaker for that room was turn off. These wires I finally found power the fridge and microwave (not sure what else) on the the opposite side of the house. It seems that they just did not have enough Romex (or relocated some wire) to make it to the breaker box. The breaker box is actually just outside of that room and they added probably about 20 feet and connected them in that light box.

The Romex with the wire nuts is the one that sends power to the kitchen.
View attachment 13704

In addition in this room, there is an outlet that only half works. There is only one light switch in that room, but behind the switch I found a red wire that is capped off by itself and there is a red wire connected to that partially dead outlet.

In another bedroom, I also have an electrical outlet with the same issue and appears to be wired the same. Also one light switch, with a red wire capped off. In addition there was also another live wire behind that light switch, when that breaker was off (different breaker from the other bedroom). I found that this sends power to a guest bathroom and that other room I was just describing.

So finding junctions behind something else can be confusing but it is okay.
But it does not look like you have a box where the fan was, that should be fixed up..

I hope you are writing a book on what you are finding so someday when some one is trying to solve a problem with the fridge wire they will know there is a junction in the bedroom light fixture.:)

Well, I'm in the middle of Phoenix AZ so definitely no snow, but of course some things just deteriorate in that heat.

Originally there was a cheap light fixture there, I already added a box and secured it and hung a fan. I do have an electrician brother in law, hopefully one day he'll help me clean up some things I cannot tackle.

Latest posts

Back