Is troubleshooting and replace a defrost sensor and/or a defrost circuit board a DIY project?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfr92y

Reaction score
Forum Members,

I have a 12-year-old Bryant / Carrier / Model 25HBC336W0030010 heat pump that was given a clean bill of health last October by HVAC repair company A.

Monday night, it frosted/froze up and Tuesday morning, a tech from HVAC repair company B said the refrigerant level was fine but with doing a resistivity test or an ice cube and screwdriver, decided the defrost sensor and defrost circuit board needed to be replaced.

I know essentially nothing about heat pumps, but have sufficient technical acumen to not have any mechanics touch any of my cars or my children’s cars in 23 years (except for aligning and balancing tires).

With your help, can I confirm whether or not the defrost sensor and the defrost circuit board are bad and replace the bad component or both components if that it the practice with Heat pumps?

Thank you very much for your assistance on this project.

Sincerely,

Gfr92y

Defrost Circuit Board.jpg

Defrost Sensor.jpg

Last edited:
Back