J Channel For Soffit On Stucco

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntermartin

Reaction score
I am wanting to know the best fastener for a j-channel (for vinyl soffit) that would be good for attaching on a stucco exterior wall.

How thick is the stucco? And what is the underlayment for the stucco.

It get nailed to the rafter tails, not the stucco wall.

I think what the OP might be looking for is how to attach (F Channel) to the wall.

Thank you for your responses.

I am not sure the actual thickness but they put wood, plastic wrap, "netting", cement then stucco.

There isnt a way to attach the f channel to the rafters and have the soffit set level. It would make a weird look to have it angled.

Thank you for your responses

I am not sure the actual thickness but they put wood, plastic wrap, "netting", cement then stucco.

There isnt a way to attach the f channel to the rafters and have the soffit set level. It would make a weird look to have it angled.
Can you post a picture of the area?

I think you just want to nail it up as long as the backing is wood. I think the question was as some stucco is over concrete.

I think you just want to nail it up as long as the backing is wood. I think the question was as some stucco is over concrete.
Yes, that was the point. In coastal areas you could have CBS (concrete block stucco) construction for hurricane survivability. Nailing it into that would be of limited value. I'd be concerned with nailing through stucco on wood for fear of cracking the stucco. I'd probably drill through it and use a screw or at least nail through a pre-drilled hole. Though I have zero experience in working on stucco as a siding material. In the early to mid 1990s synthetic stucco was all the rage here but due to improper installation techniques there were all kinds of water intrusion problems with it. Lawsuits ensured and it is largely not used here and if you didn't get it replaced can make your home hard to sell. Stucco is really common in Florida with CBS and in the more arid west over wood framing.

If the stucco isn't thick a Tapcon may be overkill. A coated screw may be all you need to secure it to the wood underlayment.
Takes all the guessing out of the equation and overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Thank you all for the comments. I was looking into $Tapcon for the job and I think it might be the best option considering my lack of experience. Hurricans and particularly tropical storms are yearly here so I am guessing the more secure the better.

Back