Karlson Cabinet for a 15" Speaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I built one of these long ago, used it for years then put a guitar speaker in it and gave it to my son.
1668181595904.png

Last edited:

ekrig

Reaction score
These things are massive. 33" x 22.5"? No wonder this thing ought to have great bass. Thank you but no. I'll stick to my nice bookshelf speaker arrangement and I can turn on the active 6" Sony subwoofer I recently fixed if I really need the bass. Most of the time I can't use it because even at ~30% of the volume, my wife complains that it makes the whole shake.

It is a very intriguing design I must admit.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I use a smaller adaptation (not a scaling) using 5" speakers. The designer was able to get 50 Hz response with 3.5" speakers.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Here is what my front 12" subs and mains are like in my simple 5.2 system. the screen in the middle is 110"

Attachments

• IMG-8742.JPG
    IMG-8742.JPG
    846 KB · Views: 0

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I use a smaller adaptation using 5" speakers. The designer was able to get 50 Hz response with 3" speakers.

ekrig

Reaction score
@Eddie_T - That was kind of my point. Even with small speakers, one can get pretty low frequencies provided that one makes the box big enough... to a point at least.

ekrig

Reaction score
Side note: I always scoff when someone says that they "need" a 100W or higher amplifier. When I was much, much younger I build an amplifier and the power supply for it from scratch. I used a Phillips chip as the main component of the amplifier and it was rated at 6W per channel MAX! According to the specs, I doubt that it was usable past 4W or the distortion would be clearly audible. I would hook that up with a befy pair of loudspeakers I had and, if I played it at high levels (which I pretty much never did), that damn thing was so loud that neighbors 100 yards away could for hear it clearly.
TL;DR: 4W of clean RMS power is all you need ;)

(If one is having to frequently raise the amplifier level to more than 50%, then what they really need is a good pre-amp.)

Latest posts