Keeping wind from slamming the door shut

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimme

Reaction score
I have a wooden exterior door that goes from my garage to the backyard. the garage is attached to the house and is right off the kitchen. We tend to leave this door open a lot for ventilation. If it is a windy day or the garage overhead door gets open, or just about anything happens to change the air flow the door will slam shut . I have a rope tied to the wall which if you loop it around the handle it will stop this from happening. However most people in the home, forget to do this, so I looking for a permanent solution. Would something like this work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Taco-Size-3-Trans-Atlantic-Commercial-Door-Closer-DC-52DX-DU/302344531
Or do I need something else.
Thanks

They are available with hold open functions, but not in that price range.

I am OK if it does not hold the door open. I just need to stop the flaming from the wind. Would any type of door closer work for that. My doo opens to the inside.

Post a picture of your door so we can see what your dealing with.

You do not want it to slam, but you also want it open.

If you don't want a hold open option, then the door will close, the rapidity of which is an adjustment in the closer, it's also affected by the weight of the door.

As far as I know, that commercial door closer is installed on the inside of the door on doors that open out. Most commercial doors open out.

In your case, since you say your door opens in to the garage, the closer would work, but it would have to be installed on the backyard side of the door.
I have a wooden exterior door that goes from my garage to the backyard. the garage is attached to the house and is right off the kitchen. We tend to leave this door open a lot for ventilation. If it is a windy day or the garage overhead door gets open, or just about anything happens to change the air flow the door will slam shut . I have a rope tied to the wall which if you loop it around the handle it will stop this from happening. However most people in the home, forget to do this, so I looking for a permanent solution. Would something like this work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Taco-Size-3-Trans-Atlantic-Commercial-Door-Closer-DC-52DX-DU/302344531
Or do I need something else.
Thanks

One more thought which should be very easy... the big box stores sell spring loaded hinge pins. I believe they are made specifically to make sure that garage doors close automatically (fire code for an attached garage, I think). You simply replace the existing hinge pins with these spring loaded hinge pins, and the door will close automatically. They are adjustable as far as tension is concerned. I believe they would hold the door closed with an air flow change, but there is no "hold open" feature of you want ventilation. Perhaps a combination of these hinge pins to keep it closed, and a magnetic catch to keep it open when you want ventilation.
I am OK if it does not hold the door open. I just need to stop the flaming from the wind. Would any type of door closer work for that. My doo opens to the inside.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's starting to sound like the door closer may not work. I do like the idea of the spring hinges and will be investigating that option. I have enclosed a picture of the door and the rope around the handle which works great when it is used.
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 7
Back