Kenmore Dryer 110 97282100 sounds like a Model T starting up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattinCA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happened suddenly, put a load in and started it up and it sounds like a Model T. It doesn't shake or vibrate excessively, just a loud rattling noise. My son cleaned the lint trap before starting and the top of the dryer gets a lot of junk stacked on it so it is not impossible that something fell in to the lint trap recess but that's just for informational purposes. Any thoughts? Here is a link to a video with the sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYUHgZlwFHL7ZiSbbUjpWsn83ZV7Osou/view?usp=sharing Thanks.

There are idler pulleys that the drum rests on, they can go bad.

I think the drum might be belt driven, the belt can get old and pitted and noisy.

I had that same dryer for thirty years, and once had a dime stuck in the track around the drum.
But that gave a high squeak, not a rumble like you have.

Thank you, Jeff. I read 100 times more than I post and your posts are always prompt and informative.

I can do the R&R but I am not a great diagnostician so I have been watching all the dryer repairs I can on YouTube hoping to find one that makes the same noise as mine so I can narrow the problem down. I finally found one but it was like my video, just a recording of the noise with no diagnosis, comments, or statement of what the problem was.

I did not fix my old dryer myself when the dime was stuck in there.
But the Sears repair guy had the whole thing opened up, fixed, and closed again in ten minutes.

There is also a noise that can happen with stuff caught in the blower, but yours rumbles just with hand turning.

Go with the most likely culprit, a bad idler pulley or roller or whatever the drum is resting on while spinning.
Or the belt is worn, but I vote for damaged pulley.

This is not your dryer, but this seems very similar to how the Sears guy got my dryer all opened up so quickly.

The lint screen is in the same place and same style.

They might be made by the same company anyway, Sears always farmed out many of their appliances.

I have repaired my own dryers on several occasions over the years. While your dryer may not be exactly like the one shown in the video, most dryers are pretty basic. You may have to hunt some for the fasteners, but yours should come apart in a similar fashion. Once you have the drum belt off as they show you can simply lift the drum out of the unit. once you have the drum out, check the rollers the drum rests on by turning them. If there is any question about them being rough or showing signs of wear replace them.
Your noise could be associated with your idler, the rollers or even something loose managing to make noise. There are not a lot of things in there that can cause your noise. Check everything carefully and use common sense. You should find the source of your noise and repair it fairly easily while saving yourself some money.
All parts should be readily available on the net.

Back