Kenmore Evenheat - no heat even after replacing EVERYTHING!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uvalaw

Reaction score
My electric Kenmore Evenheat dryer intermittently wasn't producing any heat. Recently, it stopped heating altogether.

I tested all of the possible components with a multimeter per the tech sheet (including the temperature selector switch) and found that only the heating element didn't check out. Replaced that with a brand new part, but still no heat. Then I replaced all the other cheap & easy stuff (new thermal cut-off, new high limit thermostat, new thermistor, new thermal fuse), but still no heat. Then I replaced the more expensive stuff (new Evenheat control board, new motor because I thought maybe the actuator was faulty), but still no heat.

What else could possibly be wrong? The dryer runs fine, but just doesn't heat up.

Could it be that the motor uses 120v, and the coil uses 240, and the outlet has one of it's hots disconnected or shut off at the breaker?

ouch - that would suck if it was just a tripped breaker!

I just swapped the motor relay with the heater relay, since the motor was running fine before. Now the motor will only stay on if I hold the start button in and the heater element still isn't firing up when I'm doing that (i.e., holding the start button and letting the motor run).

Is this a definite sign that my problem is the relay? I'm figuring that if it was the relay (and I'm guessing that it was, since now the motor's not running on its own), then the heater element should still stay on as I'm forcing the motor to run. Or am I wrong?

I hope I'm wrong and that I've finally isolated it to the relay!

FWIW, the model # is 110.63942101

resistance. Could it be that BOTH relays are bad? If so, then how would the motor still run normally?

I then did a live test with the dryer running in heated dry. The relay connected to the heater circuit showed 0vDC at the coil terminals and ~200vAC.

I'm not sure what this means exactly...

Back