'Keyless Fixture"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I picked up a porcelain fixture at Lowes to replace one of my garage FL fixtures on my way to a friend's for supper. When I told him of my plan to use a LED flood rather than to purchase pricey LED tubes, he said you got a 'keyless' fixture. I asked why they're called keyless.? He said it was the name of the guy that invented them but a google check reveals otherwise. Apparently it's a holdover from gaslight days where a key is not required at the lamp for turn-on.

I've noticed a number, and variety, of "keyed" fixtures, while viewing programs from "the gilded age", interesting evolution and adaptation.

A keyless fixture doesn't have a switch. A "keyed" fixture has a pull chain to control it at the fixture. As Eddie mentions it might be a holdover from gas lights. In the days of gas lights maybe a keyless was the exterior lights and you just let them burn 7x24 versus an indoor fixture that you turned on and off as needed.

The "keyed"fixtures that I've encountered in multi floor housing, single family residency, old LA, CA were candle, converted to gas, converted to elec. in the same fixture assembly. Some of the conversion parts were stored in the attic.

Back