Kitchen backsplash/drywall replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depawl

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm replacing a kitchen backsplash that I tiled 20 +/- years ago. I tried to remove the tile without damaging the sheetrock with not much luck. So I will need to replace the sheetrock also, which isn't a big deal. Except I was wondering about the joints. If I cut and remove the old sheetrock right at the bottom of the wall cabinets, and at the top of the base cabinets, how in the heck would I do those joints? No room there to tape or apply joint compound. Since I'm going to apply tile over the top again, would it be ok not to tape those joints, maybe just apply a bead of caulk and squeeze it into the joint?
Thanks to all for any suggestions.

Drywall will flex to much while you are tileing and grouting to do a good job. You could put pieces of plywood into the cavity up and down and screw threw the back of the cupboards to hold them in place and you would have solid backing for the drywall.
And welcome to the site.

How about using tile backer board, or plywood? Wouldn't that be stiff enough to not have to worry about the flexing?
And thanks for the response and the welcome.

I don't see why not. The only time I have done it, it was a condo and the drywall was required.

Back