Kitchen Cabinet Construction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman536

Reaction score
I am looking for kitchen cabinets in the mid price range but the more people I get quotes from the more confused I get. Any suggestions on the following?

• Plywood construction - I want all plywood construction, minimum 1/2" sides (3/4" preferred). Now today a local cabinet builder asks me "Why no mdf or particle?" and says plywood will warp. Most everyone else offers plywood boxes as a premium upgrade. Under what circumstances would mdf or particle board construction be considered a "higher quality"?
  • Inside cabinet finishing - What is the preferred method for finishing the insides / shelves? Some talk about a "baked on coating" to protect the wood from moisture / spills. Another told me he uses melamine. Is that something they would glue onto the plywood?
  • Drawers - I want solid wood, dovetailed drawers. One person told me to avoid dovetailed drawers, that they are likely to fall apart. I have always thought dovetailed joints were amongs the strongest. What gives?
  • Finished ends - One shop offers miter-locked joints where the face frame is attached to the side. This has a very clean look. Is this a good method, i.e. is is strong? Other options are face frames integrated (dadoed) or face frames that are flush mounted with pocket screws. These methods leave a protruding edge (a strip) which I find less aesthetically pleasing.

If I wanted cheap cabinets I would keep what I have! Any info or opinions related to my points above is appreciated. Thanks.

Im no expert but, dovetail would be top grade in my book and melamine is a painted partical board and is probably the baked on paint the other people talked about. Plywood is not likely to warp.
That said i would spend the money on doors and drawers and face frames and use the melamine for the boxes.

How would the exposed side of the melamine look next to the wood face frames and doors? Would it discolor/fade over time, and age differently than the real wood?

Back