Kitchen Cabinet repainting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanWI

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a small kitchen with dark, shiny cabinets. Probably 25 years old. I had hoped to paint them whitene question: is sanding absolutely necessary, or can I use a deglosser such 'M-1 Paint Deglosser & Pre-paint Cleaner’ (recommended by my local paint store).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Dan B.

IMG_9897.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9897.jpg
    IMG_9897.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 7
I would do both with sanding being the last step. paint has to have something to adhere to called (tooth) achieved by sanding.

Welcome.
Also, the door in the photo has a different style of hinge, so if you are interested in the aesthetics, you might look into that.

Welcome.
Also, the door in the photo has a different style of hinge, so if you are interested in the aesthetics, you might look into that.
Those look like my hinges which are made to fit a ⅜" offset door and changing out may be a big deal. They are not that noticeable though.

It's an aesthetic anomaly, to have two different hing styles on adjacent doors.

The notch is for a pivot style of hinge, and is visible, on the adjacent door.

It's an aesthetic anomaly, to have two different hing styles on adjacent doors.

The notch is for a pivot style of hinge, and is visible, on the adjacent door.
If one pays attention to such minor details the door in question also has notches and notch hinges are still available for ⅜" partial inset doors. I wonder what the rest of the doors have? I suspect notch, if so it would make for an easy fix.

The hinge is visible on the adjacent door.

That's why is suspect the rest of the doors have notch hinges or at least the notches. I kinda like the current finish, they appear to be quality cabinets.

Last edited:
Use 100 grit or finer sand paper. Holding the paper in your hand can give an uneven result and is a lot of work. A sanding block to hold the paper is easier and gives a better finish. A sanding sponge works well for curved surfaces.

Back