Kitchen Cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srobison62

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums so first I want to introduce myself. My name is Sammy I live in Shreveport La. and my wife and I just had an offer for our new house accepted, so we are now in the process of getting inspections and all that fun stuff done. We had a house last year that we did a complete remodel on, I am no where near a handyman, but I can do some stuff, and I had family members help me also. THis new house that we are buying has one downfall that I dont really like and my wife hates. the cabinets in the kitchen are a really light golden oak color, and she is just not a fan of light stained wood. They are the prefab like you get from home depot with the vaneer (sp.) on it. We were wondering if there was anyway we could sand them down and stain them, we really dont want to paint them. We also considered buying new doors for them and staining those a darker wood. I thought of this mostly because the center of the door is so thin. but if we did this do you think we could strip the frints and sides of the cabinets down enough to stain them? Thank you in advance I look forward to reading your ideas!

-Sammy

there are stains available that will go right over those cabs, you lightly sand and then apply. I do not know how well they hold up over the years but I here there pretty good. I had a client who did his own and it came out looking great. I personally would not attempt to sand them right down to bare wood especially the sides of the cabinets. I would try to find out what manufacture made those cabinets then get some info on them.

Veneer...well i say try one to see what you can get from it. Worst case you have to have some more built. You might save some money or you could get a different design with some new ones.

Back