Kitchen counter top laminate intersection separating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotthw

Reaction score
House was built in 2002, we moved in in 2005.

My laminate kitchen counter tops have a seam to each side of the sink. It appears that since the sink area is at an odd angle (45 degree maybe ?) to the rest of the kitchen the builder had to create a seam there. Anyway over the years I have had to keep those seams sealed so water could not get in. When we moved in I could already tell it was going to be an issue as here was some very slight bulging at a few points along the seams. It worked until recently when all of a sudden at one point, the laminate has lifted up on one side exposing the inner material, like it happened overnight it seemed. Is there any way I can repair this ? That is, encourage it to lay back down and then reseal it ? We have spent a small fortune on other home improvements and repairs this year and are just weary of the work and expense.

Thank you!

IMG_2095.JPEG IMG_2096.JPEG

Unfortunately, when the substrate absorbs moisture and the laminate begins to delaminate, there is little you can do.

You can try and dry it, inject some contact cement and then set a heavy object on it and hope.

I would tape both sides up to prevent any glue from getting on the top, then I would figure out how to get some clamping force on the seam while the glue sets. I have used a heavy weight and also made something to push against an upper cabinet or even the ceiling with something to spread the force on the ceiling. Something like a 2x4 and then some tapered shims to make force. I would try 5-minute epoxy and even coat the whole seam to try and make it watertight. 5 minute epoxy you may even be able to push it down by hand pushing on a board or something long enough for it to set up.

Back