Kitchen Outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seand1109

Reaction score
In our kitchen we have a double outlet of 110v, left side is regular outlet and right side is GFCI. This morning when my wife use the microwave for her coffee, it lost electricity, as did the fridge and a couple of other things on that circuit. In the search for the problem I discovered that the GFCI still had power but the other side did not... and appear to be two different circuits... Is this normal?

It depends upon when the elec. was last upgraded, because, as described, your dwelling is antiquated.

Let's put it this way, it's not abnormal. Meaning since there must be at least two SABCs in the kitchen area including counter tops it is possible and allowable to place two different circuits in one box. The times I have wired kitchens after reviewing with the home owner or contractor the placements of the counter top receptacles especially a few times two gang boxes with two diff circuts were installed or I would alternate the circuits running along the counter tops. The reason why I did this was so if there was ever an issue with one of the several circuits along the counter tops the home owners would not have to move all of their appliances to one side of the kitchen counter where there are working receptacles. Since the circuits were alternated this allowed the home owner to just unplug and plug in what ever appliances they needed to use until they could get an electrician in to look at the issue.

Since your receptacles in that one box have a GFCI and regular but on different circuits more than likely the regular receptacle is protected upstream by another GFCI somewhere either in the kitchen or elsewhere (should really be in the kitchen). So if the regular receptacle lost power it is likely either (if the circuit is protected by GFCI then that may have tripped) or your wife overloaded the circuit by running too many things at one time on the same circuit thus tripping the breaker in the breaker panel.

It is legal and to code to have different circuits in the same box as @afjes_2016 has pointed out. I personally don’t like hunting around for a CFCI that is controlling and protecting another outlet. I would rather have them paired up in the same box with the GFCI controlling the one next to it.

It does break up the load crossing them like that but I don’t know if someone is more likely to plug two heavy draw appliances into side by side outlets or locating them in two different places.

Bottom line is you have what you have and will have to investigate to see what GFCI is powering what and what breakers in the main panel control what.

I'd be more interested in that the MW and the REFER. were on the same circuit, even back in the late 60's, Installed MW's and REFERS were on separate circuits, along with 2 convenience circuits, at least in my practice.

Did the earliest GFCI receptacles have load terminals?

Did the earliest GFCI receptacles have load terminals?
I don't remember them without, but that doesn't mean there could have been units without the load connections.

Latest posts

Back