Kitchen Remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I bought a house together that had a kitchen I absolutely hated. When we initially saw the house it was bank owned and we weren't able to buy it but it was purchased by an investor who did minor repairs and resold it with financing, which is when we bought it...so I have these "Before" pics first, followed by the pics I just took. The first two pics show the kitchen the way we first saw it, the 3rd pic shows it how we got it, except it still had the paneling, which I had ripped off by the time I took this :p

The plan is to have a small galley style kitchen...much of the materials are coming from my local Habitat Home Center (aka Habitat ReStore) The Cabinets are brand new, plywood construction with oak veneer, bought from HfH for less than the unfinished particle board crap from Home Depot costs. I'm using the old counters for now but they will also get replaced. The flooring will be vinyl as well but with a plain 3" tile pattern.
The final pic is a computer rendering of the finished product

Bef2.jpg

Bef1.jpg

Bef3.jpg

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

D.JPG

E.JPG

kitchenreno.jpg

Glad to see you're making progress. Been wondering when you were going to stop by with an update. What about putting a counter top on top of the half wall with some bar stoles.

Thanks lol...I was here talking about my cabin, which I still have...but it's on hold since I don't live there...as nfor this house...the dining/kitchen is only 16' wide, so there's not much room to have an extended counter and still allow for a table

I think oldog was suggesting that you cantilever a bar top out over the side away from the kitchen proper. I've done something very similar in 2 different houses, and such always turned out to be well-used and much enjoyed. Makes a great place to eat, snack, or read the latest newspaper if fitted with decent lighting (I used can-lights, with high-intensity spot bulbs). Just equip it with taller bar stools, which wouldn't project much into the walkway to the other room when not in use. And the wide doorway into that room is a natural, allowing plenty of space even when the stools would be in use. A long, narrow table would still fit, IMHO.

I am very interested in this topic and discussion. I have been renovating my kitchen in my dreams for five years. Hopefully some day... It wouldn't be my first dream to come true!

Nice large area to play with there, you could make something really nice out of that! Keep us all updated :)

Back