Kitchen sink drain SLOOOOOWLY unless....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttinman23

Reaction score
I snaked out a slow draining kitchen sink to the best of my ability. Didn't appear to be much obstruction. As I ran the faucet full blast it almost started backing up immediately. If I turn on the garbage disposal it will then drain pretty fast. There is also a dishwasher. When it runs it also backs up into the sink a bit. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are not getting air behind your water. Is your vent stack ok? No snow or ice build up on top of the roof?

Neal TW: It's been like this for a while I guess. I'm doing it for my mother and knew she complained about it for a while......There is no vent built under the sink but I havnt checked the vent on the roof, (but wouldn't any sink get backed up if that's the case.)?

Neal TW: It's been like this for a while I guess. I'm doing it for my mother and knew she complained about it for a while......There is no vent built under the sink but I havnt checked the vent on the roof, (but wouldn't any sink get backed up if that's the case.)?

Do you have a 2 part waste? In other words are there 2 traps under the sink or just a single?

If there is a 2 part waste, is disposal outlet lower than the other?

Could be grease. A snake will often just poke through it and not clear it.

Single trap......As soon as I turn the water full blast it starts backing up but when disposal is on it drains immediately.

Single trap......As soon as I turn the water full blast it starts backing up but when disposal is on it drains immediately.

Does the disposal 90 into a "T" and the sink enter the side of the "T" and then into the trap?

It sounds like the good thing to do right now is clear the stuff out from under the sink and snap a pic showing the guys how it’s hooked up. Just from that I’m sure you will get a couple tips what to check and or do.

It sounds like the good thing to do right now is clear the stuff out from under the sink and snap a pic showing the guys how it’s hooked up. Just from that I’m sure you will get a couple tips what to check and or do.

Some of the drain "T" will have a baffle in them which restricts back flow from a disposal, and it's beginning to sound like that is where the partial obstruction is in the sink drain.

The 90 comes out of the disposal and straight down to the p-trap then into what appears to be a 45 straight a couple inches into another bigger 45 then into main drain......I have to figure out how to send pictures to this site.

The 90 comes out of the disposal and straight down to the p-trap then into what appears to be a 45 straight a couple inches into another bigger 45 then into main drain......I have to figure out how to send pictures to this site.

Load the photo from your computer Just below the response space find MANAGE ATTACHMENT. and follow the prompts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Where does the other sink attach to the wast line?

It is a single basin.

That clears it up, and here I was assuming a double bowl sink.

Now that you've mastered the photo posting, could you post a photo of the other side of the disposal, because it appears that the drain line disappears into the floor.

Also it appears that the dishwasher drain connected to the disposal isn't high looped which can allow discharged waste material, via the disposal, to migrate back into the dishwasher.

Is there a basement below where this drain pipe goes or is it a crawl space? is the ceiling finished below or is it such you can see the pipes coming down? If you can get a picture from below we can see how it is vented maybe.

The hose from the dish washer should be hooked up higher to prevent backflow as mentioned above.

I snaked out a slow draining kitchen sink to the best of my ability. Didn't appear to be much obstruction. As I ran the faucet full blast it almost started backing up immediately. If I turn on the garbage disposal it will then drain pretty fast. There is also a dishwasher. When it runs it also backs up into the sink a bit. Any suggestions?

The Op mentions that it drains better when the disposal is running. i would suspect if the problem is in the pipe, it wouldn't make a diff if the disposal was on or off. Could that mean the disposal has a blockage, or has a closed position when it is not running?

The Op mentions that it drains better when the disposal is running. i would suspect if the problem is in the pipe, it wouldn't make a diff if the disposal was on or off. Could that mean the disposal has a blockage, or has a closed position when it is not running?

I'm going to make another wild guess here.

The mention of 2-45's implies a transition to 2" at the drain, so I'm wondering if there is no vent above the floor and the vent exist in the 2" waste line below the floor.

The resolution may be as simple as disassembling and cleaning the trap and short length to the first 45.

Looks to me like an S trap... that would be an issue with a slow drain. However when the disposal is turned on...it will be powered down the drain.

Back