Knocking/clicking when gas water heater cycles on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgcchun

Reaction score
Everytime the new power vented gas water heater cycles on, there is a knocking/clicking sound that comes up every four seconds or so which appears to be coming from the 3" PVC exhaust pipe from the water heater to the outside. I am guessing the hot air is expanding the pipe, but I don't know what to do about it. In fact, I don't even know who to call to make the repair. A plumber, HVAC guy, General contractor or someone else. Can somebody help me out?

Call your HVAC company. Most likely water from the exaust getting in the way, but nothing to mess around with if you are not farmiliar with the system.
Let us know what it turns out to be, it just might helps others.:)

Sounds like its anchored to tight agents something like metal brackets holding it? get a hvac guy to come sounds like a simple fix.

Thank you for your replies. I will contact my HVAC guy and hopefully he can solve this issue. The problem I have is that the basement is finished and the ceiling is drywalled.

Back