Kohler Rochelle Toilet Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I have two Kohler Rochelle toilets that have been in use 47 years with only minor repairs. The one that gets the greatest use is having some shut off problems now. It needs the ball replacement but the flush valve doesn't always reset and holds the ball up. A new OEM flush assembly costs around $380. Does anyone know of a generic replacement?
mceclip0.png

I have considered a replacement toilet but toilets are basically ugly. The Kohler San Rafael has a similar look but no color match (sea foam green). The thunder grey might look OK but as luck would have it it's the most expensive in the line.
Category_Template

Last edited:
The handle shaft often gets corroded and sticks, inside the path it takes from outside to inside of that tank.

A little 3 in 1 oil in there will help, also on the attachment point for the clip for the chain.

Keep the chain as short as possible, only a link or two beyond tight.

Otherwise, sometimes the handle will stick in the flushed position.

Especially if someone jabs at it too hard.

I found an image of the Kohler Rochelle flush valve (which I should have posted. Mine doesn't have the chain, it has a wire loop that loops under the white bar next to the loop in the ball lift wire. I can keep the ball wire free but sometimes the white bar doesn't reset, it's free of the handle once the mechanism is actuated.

shopping

Post a picture of your actual toilet insides, if you can, it will help to advise better.

Meanwhile, put a little oil on or into anything that moves.

I have been squirting WD-40 on moving parts. I can't get a picture thus the stock image. Basically the rotary flush valve that's supposed to reset after the bowl cleaning surge sometimes fails to reset. I was hoping that someone might have experience with the Rochelle.

I'll turn the supply off and work with the valve some while armed with WD-40. I can see it seep a little water around the shaft during a flush so maybe with the water pressure off it I can get some WD-40 in it and exercise it a bit to get it working. If not I may be able to dissemble it and clean it. I need to replace the ball anyway. I keep putting it off as I dislike plumbing work.

3 in 1 is a little heavier bodied than WD40, so it might stick around longer.
And less oily mess getting into the bowl.

Be sure and lubricate where the flush lever shaft passes through the side of the tank.
That hole is tight and gets corroded.

Does this look correct for your toilet?

Often timed the flapper will get old and leak water or fail to re seat properly causing the bowl refill process to run on. It looks like your fill valve assembly can be rebuilt with individual parts. Have you had a look at A plumbing supply store to see if the failed parts are still available?

581766F3-7940-467E-BE66-62190EDEC097.pngF6EFFB15-E069-4E0B-BF28-B4930C26C6D4.pngD52A1EC0-71CD-4976-8ADF-50BAD98CA3A9.jpeg

Is there a reason a standard universal type flush valve will not work in your toilet? I’ve used this one in the past from Home Depot with success and it was installed in about 15 minutes.

AAF82AC7-0E27-4C9D-BCCC-8473CE1DCC8B.png

Is there a reason a standard universal type flush valve will not work in your toilet? I’ve used this one in the past from Home Depot with success and it was installed in about 15 minutes.

View attachment 24173
The Fluidmaster is adjustable for height and if it isn’t too tall in it’s shortest position it would be my recommendation also.

I know those low profile tanks are stylish and all but I have long had issues with them giving a good flush. I did battle with one at my mothers house for years and finally replaced it with a taller tank model.

The thing some don’t know about the Fluidmaster units is once installed when it comes time to replace them you don’t need to remove the stand pipe from the tank bottom. There is a snap ring that holds the adjustable height part in place. You can flush the tank after shutting the water off and snap the ring and pull the whole unit out and slap a new one in its place in less than a minute.

I keep a spare on the shelf at all times and never try and fix them.

Mine is the old style in the diagrams above.

I don't have a plumbing store plus I don't know at this point if anything has really failed. That's why I hoped to find someone that had experience with the Rochelle. If I have to disassemble the rotary valve I might find something that can be replaced (if the part is available). I am hoping cleaning and lubrication will do the trick.

The universal replacement wouldn't work properly. Due to the low tank profile the rotary flush valve has an outlet that directly feeds the rim ports with line pressure (see part #12 on the diagram above or shown to the left in the post #3 image).

It has always flushed well, plungers get very little use in this house.

If it must be original parts then the link I posted in post#7 has the replacement for $111, which is a great deal cheeper than the $380 you mentioned in your original post, even after shipping is added. With a google search you may be able to find it cheeper. That is just the first link I came across that had the pictures I was looking for.

That price is for one with a flapper valve, the price for mine is lower on the page @ $339.75. I am not sure if the other one will fit mine. However it appears that they may have individual parts available so maybe I have a chance if upon disassembly I find a damaged part.

@pjones Using the part number (30668) from your post I got better hits. Amazon for $254.77 or used for $193.33. After 47 years of use I am wondering if I should have a new one on the shelf even if I am able to clean or repair the old one. Procrastination seems to be my enemy.

I have been using generic flush balls from Lowes and Ace. I notice from the image in post #3 that the Kohler ball has a recess on that will hold water. I am thinking that is to add weight to the ball to ensure that its fall will close the rim flush diverter valve. I have two balls on order from Amazon and I will clean the diverter valve when I replace the ball.

Back